Re-enables the backspace key as a back navigation button (except when writing text).
Go back with the backspace button! This extension re-enables the backspace key as a back navigation button -- except if you're writing text.
What's New in 2.0:
* Backspace will no longer navigate back in most applets (Flash, PDF, most chat tools)
* You can also disable it on specific pages, or enable it on specific applet pages
* Extension options let you control where the extension is disabled and enabled
* A popup connected to the top-bar button lets you easily disable or enable it on the current page
* The extension will start working everywhere right away: open tabs no longer need to be reloaded
Before Chrome 52, the backspace key navigated back (if you weren't writing text). Many people lost their progress while working online by accidentally pressing backspace and leaving a page -- so we removed the feature from Chrome, and created this extension for those who prefer the old behavior.
This extension can't restore backspace on certain special pages, for example any of the "chrome://" pages such as Settings or Extensions.
About the requested permissions:
"Read and modify all your data": In order to capture backspace on every page, the extension needs to install a little piece of code on each one. It does nothing else with the page, its information, or your typing.
"Manage your apps, extensions, and themes": This lets the extension detect when it has been re-enabled and install its code into tabs that are already open then.
The extension's source code can be viewed at